Claimed to deliver an unrivalled combination of yield, quality and disease resistance, Merlin spring oats have joined the Recommended List (RL) as a new all-rounder for both faermers and millers.
Merlin produces high-yielding, high-quality oats when grown either conventionally or organically. It has the lowest screening losses of any spring oat variety, has outstanding disease resistance (including an 8 for mildew) and is early to mature.
According to Gemma Clarke at Cope Seeds and Grain, the UK agent for the new variety, Merlin is a standout oat for UK farmers and millers.
“Merlin is suited to all regions in the UK, and because of its early maturity it will do well in wetter climates and the North of the country where maturity is vital,” she said. “It delivers consistency and quality to millers, due to its high specific weight and high kernel content and it has the lowest screening losses of any oat variety on the RL.
“Merlin is one of the highest yielding oat varieties on the RL and performs exceptionally well when grown organically or conventionally with good standing ability. Also, for farmers looking to farm more environmentally with less inputs, Merlin has exceptional disease resistance scores with a mildew score of 8.”
Hampshire arable farmer Richard Monk first grew Merlin in 2020 and achieved 69t from 9.3ha.
“For the 2021 harvest we were encouraged by the 2020 results to increase our area of Merlin, but like all oat and barley combining for 2021 harvest here in Hampshire, conditions were really difficult,” he said. “However, Merlin held its own and has done better than the other spring oats we grew and I’m planning to plant it again this spring for the 2022 harvest.”
- Spaldings: SeedSock makes drill and spreader emptying much easier
- McConnel: Next-generation Agribuggy2 sprayer unveiled
- Allflex: Subscription-based SenseHub monitoring launched
- Hella: Black Magic LED auxiliary lights now available in Europe
- Horsch: New Cultro TC models can be front-mounted for great flexibility
- JCB: Loadall range extended with new 538-70 telehandler
- Topcon: Precision controller offers unrivalled seeding accuracy
- Continental: Agro ContiSeal technology wins DLG Silver Medal
- Kubota: M6-001 utility tractor series introduced
- Vervaet: New telematics system is now standard equipment
- Hutchinsons: Managing nitrogen with a realistic eye on yield potential
- Terravesta: Water health and soil carbon focus at Miscanthus farm walks
- Doosan: Exclusive supply agreement signed with Tobroco-Giant
- Cope Seeds: Merlin spring oats added to Recommended List
- John Deere: Fully autonomous tractor unveiled at CES 2022