Roxell has expanded its Fidos range for electronic sow feeding by adding the new Fidos Farrowing smart dispenser that promotes precise, individual feeding of lactating sows for higher milk production and optimal piglet growth. The new unit means there’s now a Fidos system for every stage of the pig cycle.
The focus of Fidos Farrowing is creating a fine-tuned eating process that stimulates milk production and keeps the sow at the right weight. This results in piglets that grow more consistently and reach a higher weaning weight. Also, a fit, stress-free sow also means the piglets get the best start in life. Each individual farrowing pen is fitted with a cone-shaped dispenser. This design provides the best guarantee that the feed ration will fully drop from the dispenser and that the sows can eat stress-free, without having to wait.
Based on the pig producer’s settings, Fidos Farrowing begins feeding at intervals. The feed volume can be set on a feed curve, which can be individually programmed for each sow. The volume increases automatically and gradually, so there is a fit and healthy sow at the end of the suckling period. Adjustments can also be made on the fly, as needed. Fidos, therefore, allows individual precision feeding according to the needs of the animal.
The trend of providing smaller rations at regular intervals in the farrowing house can also be followed. The daily feed volume is inreased, knowing that the sow will consume the extra feed. By feeding at regular intervals, the sow never feels as if she has overeaten, and her energy and blood counts are stable. After every feed ration, the sow will drink, which means she will consume more water and ultimately produce more milk – the key to healthy piglets with uniform growth.
The dispenser drops feed at a slow rate for an eating speed of 200g/min. This rate can also be adjusted. The feed is therefore always fresh. Whatever the feed type – mash or pellets – it will flow smoothly through the wide dispenser opening.
Automation should be a tool to make stockmen’s daily work easier. With Fidos Farrowing, they no longer need to individually set the dispensers. The system centrally controls the feed quantities per day, per sow and according to their individual needs. If a sow’s feed curve needs to be adjusted during a daily inspection, this can be done with a handheld terminal with WiFi. Just scan the sow’s RFID ear tag and directly adjust the feed curve in the system.
User friendly features of Fidos Farrowing include:
- The color of the LED light on the dispenser indicates the status of the motor. You can also have this signal display per compartment on a panel.
- The dosing auger of the dispenser automatically clears any potential blockages by rapidly moving back and forth up to three times.
- The large circumference of the dispenser opening prevents blockages with fine types of feed, such as mash.
- Due to the transparent body, you can quickly see what’s happening inside the dispenser.
- A hatch on the front of the dispenser allows access for inserting additives or for cleaning the inside.
Fidos Farrowing is a tool for every sow farmer who wants to minimise manual work and save time when implementing a feed strategy. It also helps generate quality results for sows and piglets.
“An additional advantage of electronic feeding is that you gather data over time,” Roxell’s marketing manager, Frank Hartmann, said. “This is what makes the system so smart. Knowing how much feed a sow eats during her lifetime and knowing how much it costs to produce one piglet helps farmers to make decisions about their sows.
“By using Fidos electronic feeding, you can collect this data in one program, which makes it easy to manage. The data can confirm the farmer’s hunches and lead to new insights. The data in Fidos can also be exported to a standardised format, so it can be used in other smart applications.”
- Spaldings: SeedSock makes drill and spreader emptying much easier
- McConnel: Next-generation Agribuggy2 sprayer unveiled
- Allflex: Subscription-based SenseHub monitoring launched
- Hella: Black Magic LED auxiliary lights now available in Europe
- Horsch: New Cultro TC models can be front-mounted for great flexibility
- JCB: Loadall range extended with new 538-70 telehandler
- Topcon: Precision controller offers unrivalled seeding accuracy
- Continental: Agro ContiSeal technology wins DLG Silver Medal
- Kubota: M6-001 utility tractor series introduced
- Vervaet: New telematics system is now standard equipment
- Hutchinsons: Managing nitrogen with a realistic eye on yield potential
- Terravesta: Water health and soil carbon focus at Miscanthus farm walks
- Doosan: Exclusive supply agreement signed with Tobroco-Giant
- Cope Seeds: Merlin spring oats added to Recommended List
- John Deere: Fully autonomous tractor unveiled at CES 2022