A new partnership between German manufacturers Continental and Fendt means that all new 200 and 300 series tractors are now available with Continental TractorMaster tyres. The move is yet another boost to the investment Continental has made to produce tyres with new technology at its dedicated agricultural production facility at Lousado, Portugal.
“This partnership with Fendt further strengthens the Continental tyre range for agriculture,” Continental’s UK agricultural sales manager, Richard Hutchins, said. “It also demonstrates that the research and development we’ve carried out at our production plant in Lousado has attracted the interest and support of one of agriculture’s most influential brands.”
The TractorMaster tyres feature NFlex Technology, a patent-pending, heat-treated nylon that sits beneath the tyre rubber to help it return to its original shape after impact and heavy use. A further technological development is in the wire, or ‘bead’, that helps the tyre hold the rim of the wheel. Many agricultural tyres use as many as 10 individual wires to create one bead, which can cause weaknesses at the joins. The Continental bead, however, is made of a single wire construction wrapped around the circumference of the tyre up to one hundred times creating an agricultural tyre that holds the rim, even when run at very low pressure.
“The bead is as important as the rubber and nylon in a tyre,” Mr Hutchins added. “Our research showed that tyres with a single wire bead can operate at up to 3psi lower. In field operations, this increases the footprint area which reduces soil compaction.”
Fendt, which has its base at Marktoberdorf, Germany, and has been part of Agco since 2009. It becomes the second OEM from Agco to partner with Contnental as Valtra’s tractors have been equipped with Continental tyres since 2018.
Fendt’s UK marketing manager, Charlotte Ellis, said she welcomed partnerships with innovative suppliers that could help the brand’s products perform more efficiently in the field and on the road.
“Tyres are an extremely important part of any tractor and the new technology in Continental’s TractorMaster tyres shows how research and development is helping to drive agricultural efficiencies,” she added.
Available tyre sizes for the Fendt 200 and 300 series from Continental include 600/65R38 and 540/65R24, as well as 540/65R34 and 440/65R24. These are available now, and can be specified on all new models in the range.
- Mtech Digital Solutions: SimplyCow mobile app for dairy herd management
- Kverneland: Soil testing kit offers grower insights
- SpaceSense: New satellite imagery partnership with Hutchinsons
- New Holland: Updates announced for MyPLM Connect Farm platform
- Merlo: New pricing structure for spare parts
- Corteva Agriscience: Inatreq active approved in the UK
- Limagrain: UK sugar beet portfolio expanded
- Kubota: L1 and L2 series tractors now available with Stage V power
- DLG: Agritechnica postponed until February 2022
- Martin Lishman: Barn Owl Wireless eases grain store management
- Hella: Valuefit work lamp series expanded
- Continental: Fendt tractors now available with Conti TractorMaster tyres
- New Holland: Farmers invited to the Youniverse digital agricultural fair
- NatCap Research: Online tool helps farmers build their biodiversity and net zero carbon strategies
- BKT: The right tyres for sandy and stony land