Originally a country retreat used for hunting, Euston Estate on the Norfolk/Suffolk border was subsequently converted into a farm that today extends to more than 4,200ha.
The business grows cereals, vegetables, pulses, but above all sugar beet, with about 280ha put in annually for a harvest of more than 16,500t.
Farm manager Matthew Hawthorne and his staff start the cultivation of the crop in March with sowing, while the harvest can run from from September to the start of February. During sowing about 50 per cent of the land is ploughed, while the rest is worked without turning the soil over.
Choosing a tyre to facilitate operations and which is suitable to the type of soil is essential.
“Our fields are characterised by the combination of clay soils to the North and sandy to the South of the estate,” Mr Hawthorne said. “The challenge is, therefore, to find a flexible tyre that’s effective in all conditions.
“I’m always looking for tyres that have a robust casing, so as to reduce the risk of punctures, given that the soil at Euston is full of flint, which can be quite a sharp stone. Robustness, effectiveness and reliability are certainly the three characteristics that every tyre must have.”
To meet these needs, the business has chosen to equip its machinery with BKT’s bestselling tyres: the Agrimax V-Flecto and Agrimax Teris drive tyres, and FL630 trailer tyre.
The Agrimax V-Flecto is a solution dedicated to high-powered tractors that aims to guarantees top performance on every type of soil. Thanks to the VF sidewall flexion technology it features, this tyre makes it possible to maximise loads without changing tyre pressure, regardless of speed. It’s thus possible to carry 40 per cent more load than a standard tyre in the same class (or the same load as a standard tyre but at 40 per cent lower tyre pressure).
The great strength of Agrimax V-Flecto is its robustness – as well as ultra-resistant casing and the special reinforced bead – that results in a claimed product life cycle 10 per cent longer than equivalent tyres.
The Agrimax Teris is designed for slef-propelled harvesters. It has excellent flotation capacity thus limiting damage to the soil and guaranteeing excellent harvesting performance, with the ability to support very high loads. In addition, the tyre is particularly resistant to cuts and impacts due, for example, to the presence of stubble on the ground, thus guaranteeing a long lifecycle and reducing vehicle downtime.
Finally, BKT’s FL630 is a flotation trailer tyre characterised by excellent flotation capacity that reduce the impact on the ground. Thanks to its robust structure, this tyre is said to guarantee excellent traction and perfect grip, on the road as well as in the field. The particular design of the tread ensures good stability on every type of soil and gives the tyre excellent self-cleaning capability.
“A characteristic that I’ve especially appreciated in BKT tyres is their low-noise level during operations,” Mr Hawthorne added. “This is very important for us considering the homes and villages that border on the estate.
“Overall, BKT has truly managed to meet the business’ needs to perfection.”
- Amazone: Leading the way in autonomous agricultural machinery
- Drone Ag: Latest software supports VR and plant counting
- Paxtons launches on-farm delivery service for original parts
- Tramspread: Wagtail offers safe and versatile hose handling
- Dairy Spares: 60-teat mobile Milk Bar calf feeder added to range
- JCB: £100 million investment in hydrogen engine development
- Pöttinger: New Lion 6002C folding power harrow handles up to 500hp
- Hella: K-LED Nano beacon introduced
- Claas: New features announced for 2022 Jaguar foragers
- Kuhn: Compact and lightweight option added to Venta drill range
- Pöttinger: New Terrasem pneumatic mulch drill offers perfect and efficient sowing
- JCB: Compact mid-range Loadall gets DualTech VT drive
- Väderstad: Spirit 600C InLine combination drill launched
- Claas: Big leap forward for Quadrant square balers
- Pöttinger: SensoSafe protects wildlife and livestock