The events, which will be held digitally via Zoom, return with opportunities to learn more about pulse cropping and how to optimise them in the rotation.
There will be four webinars in all and these will cover:
- the market for pulses and varieties for the market;
- pest management and IPM strategies for pulses;
- disease control in field beans; and
- weed control in field beans.
This year’s speakers include technical experts and researchers from the PGRO and Syngenta, as well as the UK pulse manager with Frontier, Andy Bury.
The move to digital follows the successful launch of the PGRO’s Descriptive List earlier this month, which has now been watched more than 300 times on YouTube.
The organisation’s chief executive, Roger Vickers, said the roadshows were valuable events for farmers.
“We’re really pleased that they’ll be going ahead in 2021,” he added. “I’m keen to harness digital platforms to continue to bring growers together and offer knowledge and insight on some of the more technical aspects of growing peas and beans successfully.
“While we can’t meet in person and enjoy a social element to the roadshows, the webinar format gives us new opportunities to reach more growers who can join us from their farms or workplace and I am looking forward to a great turnout this year.”
Syngenta’s Rebecca Stilton added it was very positive that pulse growers would have some new crop protection options for next season.
“The PGRO and Syngenta Roadshows are the ideal way for growers and agronomists to keep up to date with all the latest developments,” she said.
Basis and NRoSo points will be available for those attending the meetings.
The events will take place on Zoom at 09:00 on the following dates:
- January 18, 2021: Frontier Agriculture’s Andy Bury and PGRO principal technical officer Stephen Belcher will discuss the market for pulses and variety choices. Zoom registration link
- January 19, 2021: Pest management and IPM strategies for pulses with Syngenta’s Dr Max Newbert and the PGRO’s Dr Becky Howard. Zoom registration link
- January 20, 2021: Syngenta technical manager Michael Tait and PGRO plant pathologist Dr Lea Herold will talk about disease control in field beans. Zoom registration link
- January 21, 2021: Weed control options in peas and beans with PGRO principal technical officer Jim Scrimshaw. Zoom registration link