Recent US trials tested the anti-viral efficacy of widely available feed additives against viruses such as Seneca virus (SVA), porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) and porcine epidemic diarrhoea virus (PEDV).
The study, conducted by Dr Scott Dee at a Pipestone Applied Research facility operated by Minnesota-based Pipestone Veterinary Services, showed that pigs fed the infected control diets exhibited clinical symptoms of SVA, PEDV and PRRSV. However, no evidence of SVA or PRRSV infection was observed in the pigs consuming feed supplemented with pHorce from Anpario. In addition, it was found that pHorce lowered mortality and significantly increased average daily gain compared to pigs from the control group.
“To find that pHorce, which is formaldehyde free, not only delivers effective anti-bacterial and anti-fungal action, but also successfully protects feed with proven anti-viral activity at a relatively low inclusion is massively important,” said Anpario’s global technical director Dr Wendy Wakeman. “This finding will help in ensuring the biosecurity and safety of future feed and livestock production.
“Anpario has worked with acid-based eubiotic (ABE) feed additives for more than 30 years with a particular focus on pathogen control,” Dr Wakeman added. “The proven anti-viral activity of pHorce, specifically in the mitigation of the effect of PRRS, PEDV and SVA, highlights the effective triple action of the feed additive.”
In the trials, feed was infected with these viruses, using Dr Dee’s innovative ice block model, where pigs were offered either the infected feed with no additives, or the infected feed supplemented with the additive, one of which was pHorce, included at the rate of 3kg/tonne of feed.
Manufactured by UK based feed additive producer Anpario, pHorce is developed from a concentrated synergistic blend of formic and propionic acid formulated on a unique carrier system for optimal efficacy. It’s a free-flowing dry powder that’s easily dispersed within raw materials and finished feed. pHorce is fast acting with rapid acid release helping reduce pathogen load and supports the development of a well-balanced and diverse gut microbiome for optimal livestock health and performance.
For more information visit: www.anpario.com.
- Hutchinsons: TerraMap Carbon field mapping service now available
- Amazone: UX SmartSprayer offers spot weed treatment at field level
- Terravesta: Miscanthus finance and end-user agreements assist UK decarbonisation
- Merlo: New heavy-duty TF65.9 TCS170-HF joins telehandler range
- ProCam: Agronomy firm strengthens team for farmer-focused research
- Naïo Technologies: Another step towards a beet-weeding robot
- Bobcat: New range of small articulated loaders revealed
- BASF: Control rats in just seven days
- Agco Power: Major investment in engine manufacturing
- Bobcat: New compact wheeled loader wins global design award
- Pöttinger: Next machine management in the field
- Agrointelli: UK’s first commercially available robotic tractor in operation on Suffolk farm
- Limagrain UK: New biscuit wheat offers best on farm yield security
- Kuhn: Triple gang mower conditioner with integrated swath grouper launched
- Syngenta: New cereal disease decision support tool launched